Sunday, February 20, 2011

Travelling on Beyond the Pond: Discernment

Gratitude. So grateful to be awakened, to be alive. The awakening described in my last post was part of a larger process, and I can perceive stepping stones that occurred even before, bringing me on to the present.

I recall many years ago, when my two daughters were young and taking Suzuki violin lessons. There were two Suzuki teachers in my small town and we had combined group lessons Fridays. One of the teachers is a Catholic nun, Sister Marion.

Sister Marion is affiliated with a convent in Milwaukee, WI and invited another friend and I to go with her to a retreat led by Fr. Thomas Green. A retreat on Discernment. I think his book, Darkness in the Marketplace, was new. Actually, the retreat was for sisters only, but because Sister Marion had brought us, we were able to come to the lectures.

Something I took from the lectures: I understood Fr. Green to be describing a tendency to project whatever is in the present into the future, to imagine I know, based on this projection, where God is sending me. However, discernment requires openness to change direction along the way. Even after being prompted and redirected, like others, I tend to look ahead again and imagine I know where God is sending me.

The man who aroused my interest earlier this month graciously and kindly informed me that he is involved with someone. I know the importance of the connection was for me to awaken and live. It has been amazing. I am open to a new future, to love and joy and peace.

No comments: